Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentine Schmalentine


Each night I've been watching The Nanny. This week since it's almost VD, Fran Drescher who played Fran Fine on the series is hosting the marathon of re-runs. I love this show. The butler, Niles, is hilarious. But the main point of the show is for Mr. Sheffield to fall for Fran, and then to make a commitment to her. She is determined that he will come around, and of course, he does. As corny and unrealistic as it is, I love it.

I'd like to fast forward through tomorrow and hit play on Monday morning. Valentine's Day can be depressing without someone to love. But if we really look around, hopefully we do have people to love and who love us back. Our children, friends, family, and co-workers won't take the place of a significant other. However, they'll be there for us throughout various stages of our lives. Anyway, I'm trying not to allow VD to weaken me.

As I walked by the couch today, my husband slightly reached out his hand toward me. I pulled my hand in towards me as I walked by. It was tempting just to touch his hand. But then that will just delay the flight plan. The fight-or-flight response is the body's response to a threat. I must remember that, and that in any way letting him perceive that there is hope for our relationship is just another flight delay.

I bought him nothing for tomorrow. My son told me my husband bought me a heart shaped box of chocolates. Seriously, I have been straight forward. I have not mumbled. But he still doesn't want to grasp this situation. I plan on taking the kids and leaving for as much time as possible tomorrow. This situation is just not easy.

I heard a great song this week though. It's by Alicia Keys. A song about pressing forward, being strong, no matter what comes. The chorus is this:

Cause I am a Superwoman
Yes I am
Yes she is
Even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an S on my chest
Oh yes
I'm a Superwoman

We have to be strong even when we don't feel like it. Even when our lives are hard and lonely, we must be strong. Gotta keep moving on...

No comments:

Post a Comment